The Interdisciplinary Centre for Social and Language Documentation (CIDLeS) invites scholars working on endangered languages in Europe and on Language Documentation to attend the International Conference on Endangered Languages in Europe. The conference will be held on October 17-18th, 2013 at the Interdisciplinary Centre for Social and Language Documentation (CIDLeS), Minde, Portugal.
The conference aims to:
- Provide an interdisciplinary forum in which scholars from Language Documentation, Language Technology and others working on European endangered languages can exchange ideas and techniques on language documentation, archiving, and revitalisation;
- Include further discussion and research into linguistic diversity in Europe;
- Reflect on language policy issues.
The second day of the Conference will have two special panels: one focusing on the endangered languages in the Iberian Peninsula and a round table, dedicated to the theme “new speakers of minority/endangered languages”.
The Conference will include a socio-cultural program related to the theme “Endangered Languages in Europe” with the aim of promoting intercultural exchange and reinforcing the relationship between linguists and language communities. On 19 October 2013 there will be a “Language Fair”, in which members of endangered language communities in Europe will present their languages and cultures through book displays, and cultural events (music, theatre, movies, exhibitions, etc.). On the evenings of 18 and 19 October there will be an Endangered Languages Music Festival.
- Ulrike Mosel (University of Kiel)
- Mandana Seyfeddinipur (School of Oriental and African Studies, London)
- Sebastian Drude (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen)
- Fernando Ramallo (University of Vigo)
- Annette Endruschat (University of Regensburg)
- Michael Cysouw (University of Marburg)
- Frank Seifart (Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig)
- Wolfgang Schulze (University of Munich)
- Xosé Afonso Pérez Álvarez (University of Lisbon)
- Lachlan Mackenzie (ILTEC, Lisbon)
- Johannes Helmbrecht (University of Regensburg)
- Peter-Arnold Mumm (University of Munich)
- Nikolaus Himmelmann (University of Cologne)
- Geoffrey Haig (University of Bamberg)
- Vera Ferreira
- Peter Bouda
- Francisco Vicente
- Rita Pedro
- António Lopes
- Ingrid Scholz
- Paulo Vicente
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and visit the following websites: